The Holy Grail Foundation Search Continues

foundations to try


Anyone who knows me in real life would know that my favourite place to go to is Sephora. Just today after class I stopped by to look around and ran into some friends. Suffice it to say I spend a little longer than expected but I left with tons of new recommendations, which I always love. For the past few months I have been on the hunt for the right foundation/tinted moisturizer for me - holy grail if you will. I'm not even kidding, I have tried about 10 different products in samples and bought and returned three foundations. So yes, the hunt isn't going too well but I'm not giving up. I'll give you some background on my skin and my must haves for the perfect base!

My skin is combination during this time of the year. I have a pretty oily t-zone and I tend to get drier patches between my brows and around my cheek area. My perfect base product would have these qualities: it has to feel light on the skin (no cake-face over here!), needs to cover redness and acne scarring sufficiently, needs to control my oils yet not look overly powdery or fake looking, oil-free, and blend seamlessly (formulations that are mousse-like in texture are a no go for me). It feels like at this point my only option would be to make my own custom foundation but maybe that will be a project I'll tackle in the future. 

So far I've tried things like Clinique Stay Matte (broke down quickly and emphasized dry patches), Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation (irritated my skin), Laura Mercier Oil-Free Tinted Moisturizer (broke me out), Estee Lauder Double Wear Light (still felt heavy on my face), Jouer Matte Moisture Tint (love it but the shade was off)... this list goes on and on. There are a few bases that I'm looking to try out in hopes that I'll find something that will tick off most of my holy-grail requirements, which are shown above! Right now I got a sample of the Nars Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer which feels super light but I'm thinking it won't hold up during long days. I think it looks really natural and has a good amount of coverage so fingers crossed that it might make it through my touch testing process. My skin is getting a lot better in terms of texture and breakouts so I'm hoping to enjoy lighter feeling and covering bases, although the worst part is that most of the time the shade ranges are limited. I was super interested in the Bobbi Brown Tinted Moisturizer but the shade jumps dramatically from the light medium to medium tan - one is wayyy too light and the other is much more of a summer tanned colour. Not cool Bobbi, make another shade please!

Oh the pain of finding a good foundation. I feel like if you can get your base right then whatever you place on top will look significantly better, which of course has to do with your skin in the first place. Well sorry for the rather long ramble but I'd thought I'd share the dilemma and hopefully receive some helpful recommendations for products to try. I'm open to try anything at this point! I don't think the girls working at Sephora can handle one more foundation related question haha!

What are your favourite foundations/tinted moisturizers? I would love to hear from you! 
post signature

1 comment:

Blog Content. © Glorious Peonies | A Lifestyle And Beauty Blog . Blog Template All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.